Welcome to Kyneton Secondary College

Excellence in Education

schoolKyneton Secondary College is a single-campus, year 7 to 12, co-educational school located 80 kilometres north-west of Melbourne.
Our school was originally established in 1912 as Kyneton High School on a site in Piper Street. In 1928 the school was relocated to the current site and operated in the building which is now primarily devoted to Administration, Welfare, offices and the staffroom.

  • In 1966 a technical component was added to the school and it became known as Kyneton Technical-High School.


  • In 1985, a Vertical Unit Structure was introduced in Years 8-10, STC and Group 2 subjects were offered to Year 12 students along with Group 1 subjects and Year 11 courses became semester length.


  • In 1989 the Junior Complex was opened and in 1991 the second stage of the building program was completed, which included the Boomerang, Textiles, Art and Home Economics buildings.


  • Year 8 returned to a horizontal structure in 1992, with Years 9 and 10 returning to a partly horizontal structure in 1993.


  • Kyneton Secondary College became a ‘School of the Future’ in 1995.


  • In 1996 the V.U S. was replaced with a horizontal approach to curriculum delivery incorporating Enrichment and Extension Electives and providing the opportunity for Year 10 students to study VCE Geography or Information Technology.


  • In 1998 Vocational Education subjects were introduced at Year 11. In 1999 the Table Small Groups cooperative learning approach was introduced at Year 7 with teacher teams and was extended to Year 8 in 2000. In 2002, the range of VCE units available at Year 10 was increased and extension electives incorporated with general electives. All year 10 blocks were aligned with VCE blocks in 2004 thus allowing greater flexibility for students in year 10 to do VCE subjects. The new Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) was introduced in Year 11 in 2003 and was extended to Year 12 in 2004.


  • The Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS) was progressively implemented in 2007 for years 7 to 10.


  • In 2012, the College celebrated its 100th anniversary with over 2000 people attending the College for the celebrations on February 25th and 26th.


  • In 2012, the College introduced the BOOST Literacy program for all students in Years 7 to 9 and the pathways focused, Engaging Your Future Program for Years 10 to 12.





  • Original Architectural Drawing Restored!!

    Original Plans


    Early last year, retired staff member, Jean Stringer was clearing out some archived records at St Pauls Anglican Church in Kyneton when she found an original architects drawing of the school buildings of the then, Kyneton High School. Today, this building forms our main administration area at the front of the school.

    Local artifact and document restorers, Duncan and Tina Rolley volunteered to restore the damaged drawing and present it to our school. After a very careful restoration of the fragile document, Duncan and Tina presented the drawing to principal, Mark Ridgeway, on Wednesday 24th February. Also attending the presentation were Jean Stringer and local historian, Mal Closter.

    Mr Ridgeway was very pleased to receive the restored plans and thanked Duncan and Tina and their firm, Artifact Conservation for their wonderful gift. Mr Ridgeway also thanked Jean for recovering the document, recognising its importance and organising with Duncan and Tina to have it restored.

    The finding of the document is very timely in the year that new architectural plans are being drawn up for our major rennovation and rebuild due to start later this year.





    Memorial Garden Opening: November 2015

    Memorial Garden


    On Monday 30th November 2015, we held the formal opening of our restored memorial gardens at the front of the school. The gardens were first developed on our old site in Piper Street in 1918, when roses were planted in an avenue at the suggestion of the then head master, Mr Stuart. The roses were planted in honour of school enlistments and soldiers nominated by local subscribers willing to purchase a rose. The full list of the soldiers represented by the memorial roses was first published in the Kyneton Guardian on November 18th 1919.

    More recently , the garden has been restored, largely through the efforts of our community gardening group led by Renee Taylor along with support from the Kyneton RSL, our maintenenace manger, Brad Whitmore and local landscape gardeners, Dale and Helen Gillis. New name plaques for each serviceman were installed thanks to an Anzac Centenary garnt and the work of Huntly Barton.

    The official ceremony was attended by past and present staff and students as well as various community representatives and friends of our school. The service was conducted by Rev Ian Howarth from Kyneton Anglican Church with Mike Gretton and John Riches speaking on behalf of the Kyneton RSL. Principal, Mark Ridgeway, gave a brief history of the garden and Renee spoke on behalf of the gardening group and thanked and recognised all those involved in the restoration. Students, Taylah Gillis and Estelle Winkelman spoke about their research project on the lives of each of the listed soldiers and read exerts from two of their investigations. Kyneton RSL Vice President, John Riches led the remembrance ceremony and bugler, Jenny Batchelor played the Last Post and Rouse. The service finished with the singing of the National Anthem. Morning tea was then served in the College Hall – many thanks to Annie, Laurie and Michelle from Food Tech for preparing the refreshments.